The Bible is a book that connects us with God and deepens our faith in him. Studying the bible as a beginner can be challenging especially if you don’t know where or how to get started, in this guide, I will walk you through the entire process of bible study for beginners.
Let’s get started.
What is a Bible
A Bible is more than a manual, or an handbook, it carries weighty words that have the ability to transform it readers.
Consisting of 66 books, and written by a total of 40 authors, the bible has been in existence for more than 1,400 years now.
It was originally written in 3 different languages, Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic before it was translated to more languages later.
Having said all that, let’s proceed.
Bible study tools for beginners
Let’s take a look at some practical ways to get started on Bible study for beginners.
What supplies do I need
- 1. Bible : This is the most important tool for your bible study, there is no bible study without a bible.
- 2. A notebook or Journal: You will need a notebook / journal to write down inspirations, words or phrase gotten during the course of bible study.
- 3. Pens, Pencils, and highlighters: You will use the pens, Pencils, and highlighters for writing down lessons in your notebook
- 4. Bible study Apps: You can make use of the YouVersion bible app, Bible Gateway, etc.
- 5. Bible study method: Having a systematic approach to studying the bible is one of the best guides you can ever have, you can choose to study the bible by books, topics, via the SOAP bible study method, or verse mapping
- 6. Concordance: This allows you to study the scripture in context, it gives the number of times a particular word or phrase was mentioned in the bible with references to the bible passages. it is a must have bible study tool
- 7. Different versions of the Bible: Reading different versions of the bible gives you a proper breakdown of the scriptures. You can use the YouVersion bible app for free, it exposes you to different versions of scriptures.
- Read: Top 10 healthiest food to eat everyday
Bible study for beginners
Having said all that, let’s take a look at some effective ways to study the bible as a beginner
1. Get your Bible study tools ready
This step is one of the most important in studying the bible as a beginner. Getting your Bible study tools ready prevents distraction while you study.
For example, if during the course of a Bible study, you realise that you didn’t come with your pens, or highlighters, getting up or moving about to find it keeps you disorganized.
This is why it is important to get your tools ready.
2. Find a quiet place
If you are like me that finds it difficult to study in a noisy environment, then finding a quiet place is the best choice for you.
Your quiet place can be when your kids are asleep, it can be a river bank, or a closet. It can be anywhere
The most important thing is that the place is void of any distraction whatsoever.
This is the most important step in the bible study for beginners. Prayers should be made on, during and after bible study. This act is important because it help switch your mind from the soulish realm to the Spirit realm.
There is this connection that occurs when prayer is done before word study. Another thing that prayer does is that it helps in pulling down strongholds that might prevent you from understanding the original intent of the scripture you want to focus on.
Prayer is important
4. Start little
As a beginner, you shouldn’t be in a hurry while you study the Bible. You can start with a verse or chapter per day depending on how far you are able to understand the Bible. Remember, you are not reading the Bible for head knowledge, you are reading the Bible so as to get the wisdom of God hidden in that word.
5. Fix a time
Studying the Bible as a beginner can be challenging at first, there are some days you won’t be interested at all, but fixing a time and sticking to it is one of the best ways to understand more of God’s Word as a beginner.
6. Be disciplined
Discipline is what brings success in anything. If you aaren’t disciplined to know more of the word, you wouldn’t get much out of it.
7. Select the passage you want to read
I stated earlier some of the methods you can use to study the bible as a beginner, you can use the verse mapping method.
this method allows you to study the Bible by verse. It helps you pay attention to the details in your scripture of choice.
You can also choose to study the Bible by book, you can start from the new testament, preferably the book of Romans or John. The book of John teaches you about the love God has for humanity, while the book of Romans reveals our identity as believers.
Another way is to study the Bible by topic. For example, you want to know more about prayer, you can use the search option of the YouVersion Bible app to search for this, and you will get varieties of scriptures with respect to your query.
This is another step in the Bible study for beginners, it is also one of the fun ways to study the Bible as a beginner.
To meditate means to come into the cconsciousness of what your scripture of focus truly means.
Meditation brings one into alignment with the life in the word.
9. Bible Journaling
Journaling is one of the fun ways of studying the Bible. It is an act of creatively writing or drawing out scriptures.
If you are a creative person, this is one of the best options for you.
10. Join a community of friends
There are tons of people out there who shares similar interest with you. Look at your friends and see which one of them is interested in starting a Bible study group with you. While this keeps you focus, it also makes more sense that you are accountable to someone.
In conclusion, studying the Bible is one of the best ways to connect with God, I hope this article on Bible study of beginners jas greatly helped you in your commitment to God.
God bless you.